Thursday, February 14, 2008

Checkity Check yerself b4 you wreck yerself

Exodus 8
God put a distinction between the Irealites and the Egyptians. God spared the land where Joseph's family had settled to raise their herds.
" 'But on that day I will deal differently with the land of Goshen, where my people live; no swarms of flies will be there, so that you will know that I, the LORD, am in this land.

Just about the time Pharaoh would relent, some sort of relief would come and his heart was hardened so he changed his mind. He continued to try to control the situation, when it was apparent to everyone (including Pharaoh's magicians) that the hand of God was in this. Reminds how dependent we get on God when we are "in the soup" or fall on hard times....yet as we start coming out of it....we kinda forget about God. Its like this old Burt Reynolds movie "The End" where his is suicidal...and swims out in the ocean...only to decide once he is too tired to swim back, that he wants to live. So he prays....God get me back and I'll give you half of everything I own.....and he swims...and the conversation continues....God like I said 30% of everything.....and he gets closer still 10% God...and once he gets to where he can stand....decides he doesnt need God because he could swim back the whole way on his own. Its funny, because even as believers....thats the condition of our heart. We rely on God in the tough times....but are slow to praise and thank and remember him in the good times.

I think it would stink to have your kids...only come to me if they needed something with no snuggle time. My daughter and I have snuggle time....every night after prayers. The absolute best part of my day. If there were times we couldnt interact without some need to be met, I might get a little bitter. But it is in those times God uses them to draw us closer to Him....but he does want the praise...and probably like me, some snuggle time.

Luke 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

I love this verse....but its harder to live this verse. I talked yesterday about the 'holy huddle', which is a very Pharisee (ical) thing to do. When we realize that among the Pharisees, that there were still none righteous....its very apparent that God extends his grace to sinners....Romans10As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;

And as the theologian Ali G says....."check yerself before you wreck yerself" Im not sure thats in scripture....but its still profound.

No comments: