Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tongues

Having been in and around church most of my life…Baptist, Catholic and Assemblies of God I have seen or heard reference to speaking in tounges. Some say it is a dead gift others exercise it to this day…

I know of those who say that use in their prayer life…as a prayer language. But I am more of the mind that: “I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.”
I do remember a time…that I kind called on the spirit to intercede on my behalf…when I couldn’t pray…and I feel as though I was as close to hearing myself in tongues….as I will ever be. Although I was in the middle of huge grief, I sensed that the Holy Spirit took what little effort I had left and made audible praises and petitions on my behalf…. Did I speak in tongues? I don’t really think so….I don’t know though.
I had another friend, who became very Spirit led…seriously spirit led. He literally gave away all the proceeds of the sell of his home…because he sensed that the Lord told him to. And he had no other money or a job. Some may call that crazy, but he had faith that God would provide for his needs…. and miraculously over the next 6 months to a year….he told story after story of God’s provision. He believed that tongues was faith led….but practiced. He felt as you surrendered more of your insecurities about the act that the Spirit had more room to roam and operate. I had some reservations…but who am I to question a guy that had this kind of faith.

Prophesy is more where I am comfortable. I believe that I can prophesy over you….or speak truth, via God’s word….or something I feel impressed by God to tell you. DO I tell the future…..no. Can I use my discernment (of which I am gifted) to formulate a probable outcome….. when coupled with truth….sure.

1 Corinthians 14:24-25 But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

I pray that at ANC we are open to all unbelievers and that they do come to us for truth. I pray that inside the doors of our church and our homes that people will hear the Word of God.

No comments: