Monday, July 21, 2008

Holy Rant

Paul is blasting the Corinthian church with sarcasm, condescension (Mike….that means talking down to you), and guilt…..I mean he is throwing the kitchen sink at them.

Some examples; (message translation) 2 Corinthians 11
9 You gladly put up with fools since you are so wise!
you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or pushes himself forward or slaps you in the face

28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.

Paul seems to be in a dark place…..one where he may be at wits end. I mean, I’ve been there with people and I usually send an email out, that I regret. I mean to say what I said….its just that I might have been able to sleep on it…and temper the letter a bit to make it more palatable. Here Paul pencils a letter… and it’s basically a “Holy Rant”

Paul is justified….and it’s a good thing he isn’t married, because his wife would have never let him send this letter. She would have said he was being too hard on the Corinthian Church.

No comments: