Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Extravagant Love

Confession….you know some mornings…you just know all the stuff that you GOTTA do…and reading God’s word….doesn’t hold that ‘sexiness’ for you. I was there this morning…but I worked through it….and I’m glad I did. Really glad. What a great word for me personally this a.m.

I have been reading the “Message” first…then going back and reading the NIV…to see if it is a verse (or set of verses) I am familiar with. But I went back to the Message this a.m. after the NIV to dig out these two verses…..

2 Corinthians 13:4 He was sheer weakness and humiliation when he was killed on the cross, but oh, he's alive now—in the mighty power of God!

I didn’t like that wording at first….because I felt like Jesus showed his strength and and resolve on the cross….but thinking about further….he showed his strength and resolve his entire life. Walking this earth, sinless….when being tempted by Satan himself is strength and resolve….and I still believe that he continued in that to the cross…..but at that moment…as he was stripped, beaten, made fun of, nailed to the cross, raised up on the cross, taunted, and pierced…..as God allowed him to bear the sins of everyone, from the beginning of time, until the end…..he WAS a lamb. As Jesus poured out his ‘extravagant’ love, he was a weak…..lamb.

But Paul…I can hear him kinda chuckle as he says…..”but oh……he’s alive now-in the mighty power of God”

14The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you.
You might hear this Sunday!

No comments: