Friday, May 02, 2008

"What must I do....?"

Acts 16:17This girl followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved." 18She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so troubled that he turned around and said to the spirit, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!" At that moment the spirit left her.

At first, I realized that the demons, even the one possessing this girl, recognized God…and that is a good thing. So why was Paul disturbed by her proclamation? It would seem that people all around especially Jews would be entrigued and come out to (a) hear what the commotion was about (b) want to hear from the one she was referring to.

If Paul was isolated with only Jews it would be one thing…but apparently many pagans lived in the area, and worshiped many gods. The possessed girl was referring to the Most High God…which could have been confused with Zeus…at the time, in that place. So Paul and the disciples had to take the time to correct, instruct and rebuke the girl. So it became a real nusance, hindering their effectiveness and wasting their time.

Which leads me to another question…why didn’t Paul call out the demon early on?

I have really enjoyed the new position, as a pastor at Austin New Church. One of the cool things, as a believer, that it does for you…is give you a platform. But I have been very deliberate as to when I use that platform. I would like people to get to know me…and me get to know the REAL them…before they know what I do. For those that I don’t know….it does seem to change the way they respond and act and talk around me….so how can I get to know that person.

I know that isn’t exactly what Paul was trying to accomplish…but I’m sure he had his own delivery methods of the Gospel….and like I quoted yesterday, Paul said, “I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.”So I know Paul was very deliberate and concise in his delivery of the Gospel depending on his audience.

God, give us insight and wisdom. Let the joy that you give us…overflow from us and make us an attractive alternative to the world’s junk. Let us be a refuge for people who are hurting, and let them come in response to your goodness. Lord, I want your bride at ANC…to constantly be hearing….”What must I do to be saved?”

No comments: