Thursday, May 22, 2008

Legalism and Spiritual Arrogance

Romans 2 speaks to spiritual arrogance. There are those who believe they have it all figured out….I am the opposite of them. My opinion, spiritual arrogance and legalism go hand in hand. (maybe I still have some legalism….but I’m working on it)

Legalism is rampant in the church today. Whether you are talking about drinking, perfect Sunday school/ church attendance, bible study, rated R movies, cigars or clothing. Heck some churches and even pastors look down on other churches for not being “deep enough”, not “running as many people in worship, or style. Calvinists look down on Armenians…. Liberals look down on Conservatives Seminary Graduates look down on those without seminary degrees.

The closer look you get sometimes the uglier the picture is….I just want to be found faithful in the task I have have been given to do.

Benton made varsity golf team for Hays High School yesterday…and after he did, he said “ I bet none of my other friends make varsity sports their freshman year” while true…..I reminded him to remain humble. I know, this is a very very cool moment for Benton, he hasn’t had a whole lot of victories in his short time in Buda, so this one was especially sweet. Maybe that is the inclination of someone who doesn’t have many victories, to boast in the ones that they do have……I don’t drink, I don’t cuss….I don’t run with those that do. I have my Calvinist views…and you are wrong, because God isn’t a liar.
I am a bit leery of guys who have it all figured out….I don’t know, maybe they are just very off putting.

Obviously Paul redirects the Jews here in Romans…..to remember that the law they judge by will be used to judge them….that even their thoughts are known….and what you conceal, inside you is just as condemnable than the outward actions.

No comments: