Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Re-baptizing

Acts 19:4-6 Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

Two separate events….Water and Holy Spirit Baptisms. Were the disciples saved prior to their Baptism in the Holy Spirit?

They had not yet heard that there was a Holy Spirit and that they should receive it. But once they did, they wanted to be baptized and filled.

I find it awesome that we have so many Catholics and other faith backgrounds at ANC. One of the questions we will answer is, “Do you think I should be re-baptized?” after I come to saving knowledge of the Lord…..and undoubtedly the answer is yes. The answer is, and has always been in the churches that I attended, that baptism should occur on the correct side of salvation. But I believe this texts backs that up.

Here we see incomplete believers….who have heard the good news to a point, but don’t know the power of Jesus nor have they accepted the abiding presence of Jesus in the Holy Spirit.

God, I want more of you…I want to you continually be filling me with your Holy Spirit. I do not want to settle for an occasional douse of the Spirit, but an outpouring of the overflowing presence of Him.

No comments: