Friday, December 21, 2007

Yokefellows

Matt 11:25At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

After hearing previous sermons on the YOKES of the Rabbis in Jesus day...I cannot even imagine what it meant to study under one of these educated men who 'knew' the Torah. From the age of 5 to 14 young Jews learned the Torah...backward and forward, according to his Rabbi's bent (his YOKE)

At the age of 14...that rabbi would take the cream of the crop...the smart boys...the ones that were a cut above the rest....and continue their education to be Rabbis themselves of his YOKE...and I imagine...it was quite heavy, laborious, daunting, almost impossible....yet some (the smartest) were singled out and called to that honor.

The others....were fishermen, carpenters, inn keepers... regular joes...workin stiffs, who couldnt cut it, because the burden was too much, the load was too heavy.

So I love the picture of Jesus calling his disciples (the less than well educated) and them dropping their nets and following him, I love the fact that Jesus' yoke is easy....too easy for the educated sometimes....yet easy for those of us with chillike faith.

God thank you that you provide an easy yoke for us. I am sorry when we consider it a burden....God dont let us make it SO complicated to meet and know you. Dont let us get in the way of your easy YOKE....

My old pastor led men's discipleship groups called Yokefellows...and it was a time in my life that I was a spiritual child...and learned daily what it meant to be a follower of Chirst. What it meant to be a Godly husband and good Godly Daddy. A yoke is also a farming implement that ties two ox together to pull a plow. And like a cord of three strands isnt easily broken.....Yokefollows are the support group...the accountabilty we have with each other.

Tray Pruet - Associate Pastor
www.AustinNewChurch.com

No comments: