Tuesday, December 11, 2007

mmmmmmmmmm locust

7But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
11"I baptize you with[b] water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

I am impressed with the ‘original’ Turn or Burn Sermon. It seems that John the Baptist has more in common with Jesus than just being blood relatives. He felt empowered to ruffle the feathers of the power brokers of the day. We need to be careful with the ‘in your face’ Gospel….but it’s the religious that it seemed that Jesus reserved that for.

Interesting note….in my Archeological Bible I was gifted by a pastor friend of mine…I find that the dietary fiber in locust…..was an acceptable form of protein, by practicing Jews….not the disgusting ‘Fear Factor’-like stunt reserved for a caveman type….like I have always assumed. No doubt John the Baptist was a rough and tough hombre…..but locust at least made the list of stuff he could eat. And covered in honey…may have been a delicacy.

Gen 12….
Commentary I read
We have here the call by which Abram was removed out of the land of his nativity into the land of promise, which was designed both to try his faith and obedience, and also to set him apart for God.

Okay…so this is similar to my story…

Gentlemen…you have all applauded me for my move…and I have treasured that…but I don’t seek that anymore, but thanks. What I did want to share with you is that there are other steps of obedience that I reflect on that were smaller in scale that I have missed, ignored and/or failed (because I went back).
Listening and hearing…then acting in obedience is the tough part. I pray that as God continue to move us…we arent just so keyed in on the HUGE things that we miss the small steps of obedience we are to take every day.

God, give us ears to hear and hearts to move…when you call us to work. Give us discernment when dealing with lost people…..whether they are ‘religious’ or not. Give us the opportunities to share the good news of Your Son, in this Holiday Season. Let us make it more about you…and less about us.
Amen

No comments: