Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Psalm 55 - Shouldering the Load

Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.

You ever had one of those verses that meant a whole lot to you….but you never knew where it was. This is one of those verses for me.

The word cast literally means to throw down or hurl….the picture I will give, I don’t expect you to understand unless you have teenagers…..but the way they come in the door and cast aside the backpacks and head to the fridge or TV. They don’t care where they landed, and they have no intention of going to pick them up….they expect us to.

I was at the low point of my life….literally, and I was struggling, emotionally, spiritually, I was losing weight (Ha! Probably not….but I should have been), I had rage and hatred toward those who were (in my opinion) attacking me, and I was as close to depressed as I knew. When I was at that point, the only place I knew to turn was God.
My pastor (Sam Douglass) at the time was correct in telling me that this burden wasn’t meant for me to carry alone. By telling him, and him directing me to Christ….he said Christ would carry the load.
He also explained to me about my sinful human nature…and pride and that those things always make us want to go back and pick up that burden. Why is that? DO we believe God isn’t capable of taking care of it. Now in my instance, there were obligations I HAD TO HANDLE….but Sam told me to take care of what I needed to take care of….but to allow God to carry the burden.
Seriously…I slept better, I didn’t worry….I gained all my weight back…and then some, because I knew that I had to leave it with God. This time in my journey did a lot to shape my direction over the past 12 or so years. I actually thank God for those that were my apparent adversaries during this troubling time.

No comments: