Friday, April 03, 2009

Psalm 53 – Seek/Find

Psalm 53 – Seek/Find
2 God has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men To see if there is anyone who understands, Who seeks after God.

We are promised that if we seek…we will find. But I don’t think that God is playing a celestial game of hide and seek…..and that once we find him, we arrive. I believe that God reveals himself, his will to us through his word, other believers, circumstances and prayer. This may be weak theologically, but I think when we find him…we are finding small portions of him….so that we remain in the process of seeking him. He is saving the big reveal for eternity.
The Hebrew word for seeking here means treading (walking with)…or to follow. Another word that is used to define seeking in verse two…is to frequent. The relationship is fostered when we frequent, and when we tread and follow closely.
I think this is where we lose a lot of people. A lot of professing Christians, are just that….professing. There is no following, and definitely no frequenting. People dabble in the occult as a means of seeking God or spirituality. People pursue wisdom and cannot comprehend God…so they wirte him off. And tons and tons use works as a means to impress God and get his favor….all these are not means of seeking God.

Deuteronomy 4:29
But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Proverbs 8:17
I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.
Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Matthew 7:7
[ Ask, Seek, Knock ] "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Luke 11:9
"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Acts 17:27
God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

I have found the process of seeking God, this past year, to be the most amazing chapter of my journey. No, I don’t get frustrated that the more I learn of God, of his heart, of his character…the more I find that I need to seek. I just rest in another promise of the bible, draw near to God and he will draw near to you.

No comments: