Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ecclesiastes 2 - Journey

Ecclesiastes 2 - Journey

I have seen rich men wrestle with this same thing that Solomon is realizing. Work hard to amass riches…and in the end, pass it off to someone who will never appreciate your efforts. What’s the point?
In our western culture, we are very ‘self’ and ‘me’ focused, not to mention money focused (which I guess about me and my ability to do whatever the heck I wanna do). Most infomercials and best selling books and magazines are about making money, becoming rich, getting out of debt or lifestyles of rich and famous. When comparing riches though…..Solomon surpasses Bill Gates and “the Donald” combined. And again, we see that he finds no ultimate good or pleasure from amassing wealth.
I think Ecclesiastes ties in very nicely with;
Matt 6:19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Just a quick aside….I looked up Matthew 6…in my blogging this morning to see what I had written about this verse….WOW!
No, I really didn’t write anything good….but it took me back to a time, before Austin. The excitement about coming and being a part of ANC was thick…..Jenny and I had been driving to and from Corpus for months in late 2007, and the date we journalled Matt 6, we were prepping to leave home.
What a journey it has been so far. Thank you guys for walking with me, encouraging me, pouring into me and supporting me. This really is a cool journey…and exactly what Solomon realized in Ecclesiastes. It’s the ETERNAL that is significant, not the rat race or the “American Dream”.

No comments: