Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Psalm 56 - Father's Love

3 When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

We have some good friends in Corpus, the Willises. I actually graduated high school with both of them. Prior to moving to Austin, we served with them at our previous church.
Over the past several months...and it may be even longer, they have been going through the adoption process of a girl from China. Recently we found that the girls name was Faith, and the Willises over the last couple of weeks, have taken their family to China to meet and pick up their daughter.
What a change.
Not only for the Willises who have had one daughter for 11 or so years, but for Faith, who I could imagine living in 'the system'. Probably orphaned early on, being cared for by people who's job it was to care for you and many other children. Never really having anyone to call your own...to hug, to cry with, to laugh with and to love.
Enter the Willises.
Well, last week we finally got a glimpse of Faith and she is beautiful. You can see in the pictures the wonderment and maybe a little apprehension of the whole situation. There was one particular picture that really gave me a glimpse of a New Believer or possibly a Prodigal Son returning. The amazing thing about this picture to me is that Faith had just met Jeff. She had probably heard about him for a while, saw pictures, maybe even heard stories.....but she had never met him....and what did she know about a father's love?
But in this moment...she was frightened, maybe overcome with what was going on, maybe nervous about the reality of leaving the life she had always known....and then....the only thing Faith knew to do, was run into the arms of a Father who had adopted her, picked her, made her an heir, grafted her in.....where she would be safe.

No comments: