Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ecclesiastes 5 – Permission to Enjoy

Ecclesiastes 5 – Permission to Enjoy

Ecclesiastes 5:19-20 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.

Guys, I know we are wealthy…some more than others, but all of us at more than 90+% of the worlds population. I don’t feel the need to beat myself about that. We were all fortunate that we were born in a capitalist society that values that, able to become educated, better ourselves and live in the manner we do.
I really do enjoy my ‘things’. They are still that….just things…I don’t dwell on them….none of them are the objects of my Godly affection....so I feel Solomon is saying, “It’s okay to have stuff.” Not that God blesses financially his children….but when it happens….he wants you to enjoy it. But what are you doing with it, and are you living within your means (and this includes giving back to God what is His).
I also believe that, to those who are given much….much is expected. We have talents, that God gave us…that we are to use to be a ‘part of the body’. We all have our thing but that comes with a financial tag as well.
I pray this for the offering every week…and I believe this….God doesn’t need our money, but the work the church is doing… isn’t possible without giving.
I think that the “gladness of heart” is achieved when we become content with what we have, the things we possess, and the money we use for ministry.

No comments: