Thursday, February 26, 2009

Psalm 36 - "Old self" perspective

I first started reading this Psalm as if David was wrestling with sin…..but I believe in this Psalm, David is reflecting on his own past sinfulness and God’s goodness to rescue him from that. I feel he is referring to “the sinful man”, the man Paul refers to as, the Old Self (the one that devised evil and pursued evil.)
Psalm 36:1b There is no fear of God before his eyes.
Romans 3:18 There is no fear of God before their eyes. 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
I was talking with an old friend yesterday…..a guy that I should have literally DIED with, or at least been arrested with. Luckily neither of those things happened. He was in town to lobby at the Capital with some leaders in his industry. We were talking about all the trouble that we got into…and even more we should have gotten into. He and I have talked online via email and Facebook a little but he asked me……”How did you get from where WE were, to where YOU are?”
He asked for it….so he got it. I don’t know if he is searching, but I know that was a Spirit prompted question.
I talked to him about a Paul-like rescuing. I told him that God leveled me, took me to my knees and made me know that my worth, my security, my joy, hope and my salvation were all found in Christ alone.
Okay, maybe I wasn’t killing Christians, but my best friend in high school…..died not knowing Christ, my best friend! In high school (when I knew this friend) I wasn’t a reflection of the miracle of salvation….I wasn’t even a dim reminder. I was more concerned about the pursuit of “the Dream” than I was of the Eternal ramifications of sin in my life or my friends’ lives (or how my sin impacted not just myself....but them as well).
I know that something is different about me now, Christ is changing me more into His image. I pray that as I relate this picture of salvation, and completeness in Christ… it somehow resonates within people to want to know more about Him.
So I think its wise to reflect on a time before Christ, to think of the Old Self…and give glory to the One who plucked us from that existence, and to constantly be praying about sharing that story with ‘seekers’ (which is NOT a bad word).

No comments: