Monday, February 16, 2009

Psalm 28 - Roots

In the middle of this Psalm I am reminded that saying we love our neighbor or ‘going through the motions’ isn’t loving your neighbor. Verse 3 says;
3 Do not drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil, who speak cordially with their neighbors but harbor malice in their hearts.
I was talking with a friend of mine last night and we were talking about how, sometimes that it is just plain hard to ‘Love Your Neighbor’. When people act and aren’t lovable…we kinda let ourselves off the hook. If we are wronged by our neighbor….and let me say this….our neighbor may be a;
co-worker
in-law
ex-spouse
bully
boss
opposing party in a lawsuit
an actual neighbor
or a friend who has hurt us
we may say we love our neighbor….but the Psalmist would consider us evil if we harbor malice. Loving our neighbors isn’t a negotiable, Jesus calls it the one of the greatest commandments when he is asked by the Pharisees, “what is the greatest commandment?” Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
What David is onto…and later Jesus….is that harboring malice is the root of sin. Like roots, you may not see it at first, because it is below the surface,
Romans 11:16b states that; ‘if the root is holy, the branches are too’ conversely, if the root is contempt or bitterness…the branches or fruit is sin.
What this is saying is…what is below the surface will eventually come out…that is why we are to pray for our enemies…..it’s not really for their good fortune….it’s actually for our own hearts.
I’ve fallen short in this so many times, but when I truly forgive someone who has wronged me (who didn’t ask for it) or unconditionally loved someone I may not normally God heals my heart and builds or restores the relationship.
A lot of the time we think….well….I don’t want that relationship restored ….friends, that is sin.

3 comments:

Holly said...

amen tray. i need this reminder constantly. more with family than strangers. my prayer is to not hold malice against anyone and love like jesus does, unconditionally. i can only achieve this through him. this is what i cry out to him for help with.

Tray said...

I know I need this reminder too....good job finding me. Glad you are reading along.

Anonymous said...

I don't like thinking about "not wanting a relationship restored" as being SIN! That seems harsh. Like I want forgiveness, but retoration seems like a whole new level. Good word! But not easy! Who said it would be???
Jenny