Friday, February 13, 2009

Psalm 27 - At home?

Psalm 27: 4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life
As I drive around Austin, there are so many gorgeous houses, huge multi-million dollar homes that overlook beautiful greenbelts with awesome views of the city and hill country. The lots themselves are valued in the million dollar plus range. I have been to parties, and been invited guest of people in these homes….and it’s a place where I think…..I could get used to this.
But seriously, I can’t afford it. I couldn’t pay the power bills on these homes…let alone the taxes or the mortgage. And another thing…as much as someone may say, “make yourself at home”….I can’t. No way. I can’t do the things in their home that I can in my own. I can’t take off my clothes and go lie in bed.
In this verse….the psalmist is saying….not only will I seek to find, but that I will strive after dwelling in the house of the Lord, it is worth striving for. Paul writes for us to “continue to work out your salvation” this work is the type of striving…I see the Psalmist talking about.
You know…much like I can’t afford the big houses in Austin, I cannot afford by any means this house of the Lord…..but Christ can….and heirs can. And an heir can dwell….or live in, make themselves at home in…the House of the Lord.

No comments: