Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Psalm 35 - Wait

I noticed a couple of things in Psalm 35, the David/Jesus correlation is strong in this Psalm. It is thought that this Psalm was written with either Saul or Absolom pursuing David. I think the practical application for us is to wait on God.
David was mocked, lied about and literally fearful for his life. In all instances David continued to rely on God. And when God didn’t immediately answer….he waited some more.
I look at this Psalm as a prayer…and recalling what Matthew taught about this past week…I was looking at the posture of this prayer. David….though concerned of his own well being, was MORE concerned with the glory and fame of God.
The reasons to me are obvious…..David waited on God to do things His way…..that David was very capable of doing by his own hand. We know from 2 Samuel that David had multiple opportunities to kill Saul….yet he waited.
Another thing I noticed is that David approached God in confidence. Not that God owed David anything…but in that confidence a child might approach a parent, a comfortable confidence.
God I pray you take me back to that place where your will presupposes my own. God it hasn’t been that long, but it’s so easy to take back.

2 comments:

Holly said...

the lesson i liked the most from this psalm was to give injustice to god. let him fight the battle for you. i agree, it keeps me out of more trouble when i give anger, hurt and injustice to god. it's not always easy, but it really does keep me out of trouble and in the process of praying for him to take it away from me, i change my posture and it helps me see the person in a different light.

Tray said...

great insight and truth to live by.
David, apparently, was so in tuned with the heart of God that he was able to let God unfold His plan before him. I on the other hand.....sometimes like to get ahead of God....and hope he blesses the mess I've made.