Friday, February 06, 2009

Psalm 22 - Comfort and Praise

To understand Christ’s ‘question’ on the cross, we don’t need to look any further than Psalm 22: 1 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? “
We know in Christ’s day students of the law didn’t have their handy pocket NIV, but they knew scripture. They didn’t know it like we may recognize scripture….they knew the Torah…they knew the Psalms. Backwards and forward, by memory they knew the scriptures.
As Christ was hanging on the cross for all the worlds sins….his captive audience (those who knew scripture) caught the first line of Psalm 22. Needless to say, those listening…..immediately recited (in their own hearts and minds) the rest of the Psalm, which was actually more of praise than a cry for help.
In the 22nd Psalm we find;
- I am a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people.
- All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads
- I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint
- they have pierced my hands and my feet
- I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me
- They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing

Which are all realities for Christ on the cross.
The rest of the Psalm is basically a praise;
- O my Strength, come quickly to help me.
- I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you.
- You who fear the LORD, praise him!
- All you descendants of Jacob, honor him!
- Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!
- They will proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn-for he has done it
(in other words….”it is finished”)
Jesus in those few word, found a way to comfort those around him, to make them aware that all was going according to God’s plan, and to praise God.

No comments: