Monday, April 21, 2008

Why shouldn't I be satisfied?....Seriously?

Acts 7:53you who have received the law that was put into effect through angels but have not obeyed it."

Stephen sets the stage to smack the self-righteous pompous ‘religious’ leaders in the face with the idols they have created for themselves. He tells the story from Abraham to Jesus…in a very succinct way…and I can imagine the priests…hanging on every word….realizing his accuracy of historical facts, yet becoming increasingly angry at his tone.

The ‘coup de gras’ comes when Stephen tells them…even the laws that they have kept…they have picked and chosen the ones to keep…thus making it (in God’s eyes) like they have kept NO LAWS….and ultimately killed God’s appropriation in Jesus.

Funny…the pattern of disbelief the entire nation of Isreal had, from Moses’ day. Yet God in his love knew that, and made a way to redeem mankind.

Our disbelief causes us create Gods. I could retrace my life as Stephen did for the Jews… from the moment I chose to accept Christ….I have chosen status, money, sports, girls, reputation, work, religion, pleasure, acceptance, possessions and family over God. The awesome thing is that God understood my need for a savior based on the condition of my heart…and just wants me to recognize that without Jesus, I am lost…the things that I elevated to god-status do nothing for me in the eternal spectrum.

I like to think…that some of the people, possibly even some of the priests….some may have heard and believed. What a compelling testimony of Stephen…that is as effective today as it was then…
In effect God used that testimony to in conjunction with his revelation to work in the heart of Saul.

God your creation is so fragile...we have been since you created us. From Adam to me...our heart are prone to wander...searching for that next best thing, when you are the best. And like my kids...I love them when they love me and I love them they are 'boneheads'. I know the idols I created are not pleasing to you....I pray that as I create new ones...that you will convict me. Even now...dont let me become a "self righteous pompous religious leader", keep me humble and satisfied in the abundant life you have for me. Why shouldn't I be satisfied?....Seriously?

No comments: