Thursday, April 24, 2008

God Appointments

Acts 10:13Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat." 14"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."15The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."28He said to them(family at Cornelius’ house): "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean.34Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.43All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
I think its cool that God used Peter’s vision/dream about eating/consuming what the Jews considers to be ‘unclean’ for consumption…and that Peter made the connection between unclean food and unclean/uncircumsized people. God does not show favoritism… yet
Peter and most Jews were so hung up on what was against the law…that I believe it took supernatural appointments to overcome.
Cornelius was one such appointment….he felt something before Peter’s arrival…so he gathered his family and close friends. I have seen this repeated over and over in my life…where a child or sibling comes to know the Lord and brings the entire family to “taste and see” and a whole family is impacted by the message of the Gospel.

God I pray that we don’t lose sight of the fact that you know our names, you know the number of hairs on our head and the number of days we will remain on this earth. You also create these appointments and I pray that we are faithful when you call us to speak and faithful when you call us just to listen. Use and and keep us close to you.

No comments: