Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stay or Go? (John 6)

60 On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"
61Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you? 62What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! 63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit[e] and they are life. 64Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. 65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."
Disciples.....followers of Christ, grumbling, offended, unbelief, betrayal..... weird huh?
66From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

Not that I am shocked, but this is much like the makeup of many local churches today. Unless the pastor treads the waters carefully (not a good thing), many become angry, offended and leave. Many of the 'disciples' of Jesus time (not the 12) were followers because it was new, exciting, they were seeing things they had never seen before. Here is the problem with 'easy believism' though....once, what you Traditionally believe is challenged, then you have a choice.....to follow or leave. I am going to hold to the belief that if ANC preaches Truth, many men will be drawn to it, much like the disciples of Jesus time.....but many still will hear....like the idea....even follow (for a while) until their Traditions get in the way, or is confronted and they have no way out.....Truth has a way of doing this. You either have to change what you consider to be Truth....or walk away from it.

But the great part of the whole thing......65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." once the Spirit enables/draws.....there is no letting go, no turning away. 37All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. God makes a way for us to wrestle with Tradition, even put it aside for the sake of following Him.

God, please please please...... pour your Sprit into me....challenge me, my myopic belief systems, my personal prejudices, my traditions and conform what I believe to your Truth. Make me the instrument you want me to be.

No comments: