Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Good Shepherd

John 10:8All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.[a] He will come in and go out, and find pasture.

John isnt speaking of those prophets who came before, pointing toward Jesus, but those who came (immediately) before claiming to be the Messiah. Jesus is the gate. Two thoughts here. Jesus refers to two gates, one is for protection, the shepherd that lays down at the entrance of a cave...keeping the sheep in and protected. This type of gate however, is the one that you must enter enter through to come into the pasture (Kingdom) and find sustenance, rest and peace.

I have always loved the imagery of Christ as the 'good shepherd'. Sheep will follow their shepherd, and no one else. Sheep know their shepherds voice and respond to it. Sheep do this and know this because their shepherd FIRST....knew them, probably were there at their birth, he cares for them, pursued them.....if they wandered off, corrected them and protected them.

God, your rod and your staff comfort me. You make us lie down in green pastures. You lead us by still waters.....you restore my soul. You are the 'Good Shepherd'.

1 comment:

Casey Jones said...

hey tray, i am getting back on my old blogspot account. the website is www.ca-jones.blogspot.com check it out.