Friday, March 07, 2008

Be On Your Game

LUKE 21
6"As for what you see here, the time will come when not one stone will be left on another; every one of them will be thrown down."
36Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

Can you imagine if you were one of these disciples and heard that the temple that you were so proud of....that your people spent 80 years rebuilding, and was built as a monument for God....for His presence to live in, would be reduced to rubble. That would have to make you heartsick. It does give you a little perspective wake-up call. Jesus here is actually talking about two seperate events....

When I was in high school I drove a Z28....my mom bought it for me brand new....I know... I was spoiled. It was a monument to what I was.....and I never let it get dirty, inside or out. I would spend 4-5 hours on a saturday, washing it waxing it....it was awesome. Well to continue to let you in on the depth of my 'spoiledness', my mom again...just before i graduated bought me a new BMW, so i could have a new car in college. So my sister got the Z28. The very first morning she drove my car....she totalled it. Wrapped it around a tree..... SO my sister comes up to me in school, crying.....I wrecked your car!!!!!!! I was so mad, I cussed at her ...without caring if she was hurt, or anyone with her. I mean, I had just waxed that car for her. I was heartsick. (Years later I forgave her)

Her wrecking the car that morning was the furthest thing from my mind......And i think what Jesus is saying in Luke 21:36....is dont let all this come as a shock to you. Be alert, be ready....always be on guard, dont be caught up in the sin of the world...the carnalness of all that is going on....dont forget to pray, be on your game, do what is right, and be looking for my (Jesus') return.

1 comment:

Shane said...

My question is what kind of car did Dana get after that? I mean she deserved a new car instead of your 2 year old hand-me-downs. Perhaps she wrecked it on purpose - just kidding!

Did she get the BMW when she went off to school. I would like to hear more stories of your being spoiled as a child.