Monday, November 05, 2007

Wheelbarrows and Water levels

Zechariah 4
10 "Who despises the day of small things? Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel.
Zerubbabel is noted for laying the foundation for the second temple in Jerusalem. I guess (having been in the building trade) the plumbline jumped out at me. A plumb line is a simple but accurate tool used for determining whether or not something is perfectly vertical (or upright)In someones hands who knows what he is doing...is a very accurate measuring tool. In my hands....its a rope i can swing around like a cowboy.
WE did a mission project in Guerrero a small town in Mexico south of Corpus by about 3 hours. We built a house for a family who didnt have one. I was on the crew that built the foundation. Now I'm good at lifting, pushing, even nailing or sweeping....but even though i've watched over a hundred slabs formed (having built houses for 12 years) , I hadnt even considered how we would level this one. A guy named Mike was with us on that crew...brought out a long tube....and filled it with water. I'm thinkin, water games....but in Mikes hands...even with me other end of the tube this became, not just a somewhat accurate tool, it became a 'dead on' accurate tool for leveling. He told me that this is still a prefered way to level slabs, by many builders.
SO i can relate....I rejoiced when I saw the 'water level' in the hands of Mike.

Hebrews 11
The writer here in this chapter is talking about 'faith' that saves. Jews understood that faith saved Noah, Moses, Rahab and Isaac.
Much like today, people can understand faith...but they have to HAVE faith.
Faith is active. Your parents cant have it for you...you cant ride your spouses faith...you cant trust that Abrahams faith was sufficient for your entire clan.....You must understand...and 'get in the wheelbarrow' (http://www.livingbiblestudies.org/study/TT54/012.html)

No comments: