Thursday, November 29, 2007

Encourage and Build Up

1 John 3 16This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.

You know, as Brandon and I drove around yesterday, looking for homeless guys who touched us…..and made an impact on us, I mentioned to him that you cannot make a connection with someone, homeless or otherwise and not care about that person. I care that my guy is sleeping in the shelter and wants to better himself. I care that his daughter wont respond to him when he calls. I care that I don’t know where he is….and that I couldn’t find him yesterday. I care that I told him I would find him Wednesday and I couldn’t.

Let me encourage you guys with this. I had a guy name Robbie, came into my office less than a week after my dad had died (5 years ago) . He Just knew he was suppose to come talk to someone. He thought he’d find my mom…and he really didn’t know me, or know I would be there…..but God told him to come and he came. He came into my office and talked with me, encouraged me, cried with me, and just told me that God’d plans were bigger than my plans….to hang in there, continue to seek God. That day was pivotal for me….and that day…Robbie laid down his pride, laid down his own agenda, laid down his schedule, and laid down part of his life…..for a hurting brother. I saw Robbie Tueday, who I still don’t know very well….but we have a connection, the love of Christ in us.

Genesis 4 But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."

I think here of that lion seeking to steal, kill and destroy, crouching behind the door. We must master over sin.

1 Corinthians 10:13 (New International Version)
13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
Brothers, lets continue in this battle against Satan, strong and aware of sin. I love that we have this format, but I would also encourage you to check on your brothers…..see if there are any weaknesses that he is willing to share….so that you can help him.
Ecclesiastes 4:12 (New International Version)
12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
God, thanks again for your word….that is living and active and sharper than any double edged sword. Use it in my life to cut and whittle and gouge out stuff that is detestable to you. God I love you and I thank you for bringing me to Austin…to be an instrument. Show me who, show me where, and show me when to lay down my life for my brothers…..God, I pray I am obedient when you show me.
Amen

No comments: