Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Persever to produce character

James 5
10Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

I was just reading and thinking of the suffering James talks about. We really don’t know suffering. I read a book, not long ago called, …..Modern Day Martyrs (or something like that). Anyway, it is very humbling to read the stories of hundreds of people throughout history some famous…and some I never ever even heard their stories. I was just struck at the many ‘saints’ who have suffered and died grueling deaths for proclaiming the name of Christ. I say throughout history, but some in the book were as recent as a few years ago. And I know we have heard the stories of countless Christians who have suffered, been threatened, had to hide, been shot and killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and all over the middle east.

One of the main themes of the books was how when faced with the question….many were willing to DIE for their faith. They stood tall…singing hymns of praise as they were burned to death, tortured in numerous ways, beheaded and shot by firing squad. Would I die for my faith? Would I stand tall and claim the name of Christ? Do I stand tall and claim the name of Christ. If not…what the heck am I so afraid of? We, my friends, are soft….

1 comment:

Shane said...

Voice of the Martyrs is a great ministry which allows us to pray for those in certain countries who are imprisoned and killed for their faith. It was due to a VOM story that my buddy wrote the lyrics in a song, "They lift their voice in praise and offer him their necks" because they know that praising the Lord may cost them their very life.