Friday, May 14, 2010

Knowing - Philippians 3

I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. Phillipians 3:8

Do we really want to know Christ? I suppose we have a passing knowledge of him….I mean, we were saved by Him. We are doing a bible study….reading his word, seeking his face, but how badly do we want to know him?
The apostle Paul here, already saved….considered everything loss compared to the greatness of KNOWING Christ. Paul is not talking about knowing in the past tense for salvation….he is talking in the present and future….riches, knowledge, fame, notoriety, image….all these things pale in comparison to knowing Christ intimately.
Charles Spurgeon wrote a sermon asking us to consider being rightly accused and convicted and sentenced to die. Our death was to be placed in a pit with lion. As the gate is drawn up and the lion steps out…someone from the crowd of onlookers jumps the rail and slays the beast.
We are then rushed off to a palace where all our needs are met, and we are clothed in the finest clothes, eat the most delicious meals and sleep in the most comfortable bed. But when we ask who our savior and benefactor is….we are told it’s the same person from the lions pit. Daily we receive love notes and tokens of love from this benefactor yet when we ask who this person is….it is met with resistance. We are told that while we are experiencing lavish love from this person….and know some of what he is doing, there is 10 times as many things he is doing on our behalf greater than what we know yet they go unnoticed by us.
Do you think our desire to know this person would increase or decrease?
In my opinion, I would lay awake at night in turmoil wanting to know who this guy was. Not knowing him would haunt me….it would burn in my gut….why then am I so okay, with my limited knowledge of Jesus?
You know when someone asks you, “ hey, do you know ______?” and you know him by name, or reputation, or you may have heard of him through a friend. And you reply…..”Yes, I know him”…but you really don’t. I feel a lot of people know Jesus this way.
Spurgeon went on to say;
Do not be satisfied with thinking you know him; hoping you know him, but know him.

No comments: