Thursday, May 13, 2010

First Cousins - Philippians 2

Your attitude shouldbe the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did notconsider equality with God something to be grasped… Philippians 2:5-6
So as Jen taught onSunday…about meekness and how that is like a bridled horse….broken to ride orwork, but his spirit remains intact. Meaning he still possesses all the power, yet it is reserved forappropriate times.
Humility is Meeks firstcousin. And as Paul encourages the Philippians to be humble….he holds Christ upas an example. What I find very humbling about this whole chapter is the verseI’ve pulled out…
If Christ, who was God,had the nature and the mind of God….didn’t think equality with God was even tobe grasped….why do I?
Let me rephrase…Jesuswas God….but he didn’t even toy with ‘idea’ of understanding equality with God.How in the world then….can we…the creation put our agendas before God’s?
Questions I asked mymyself this a.m.;
Do I believe in God? DoI believe his word is true?
Have I accepted the giftof salvation?
Am I a follower ofChrist?
Yes to all ofthese….so then;
How in the world can Iput myself, my job, my agenda, my money, my pride, my time, my family, my friends, myproblems, my worries…before him?
When we do…we not onlyconsider ourselves equal…but we consider ourselves greater than God. Don't we? I'm Guilty!
But let me say this, thetimes that I am obedient, and I have given Christ my ALL….money, friends, time,problems, worries, family….agenda….He has been faithful to care for me, toshepherd me.
I know it seems like ahuge thing to say okay….here it is God, ALL of it….but today…..trust him in anarea of life you have never trusted him. Possibly your relationship with your wife or a friend, maybe an addiction, maybeyour language, maybe your kids, maybe your obedience with money.
I have to quit trying tomeet God on my terms….he gets this, he knows how I am, knows my nature and he lovesme anyway…..but he wants us to seek Him first, seek his kingdom first….and allthe other things of life….will fall in line. They may not fall in line the waywe had planned, but if we are in line with God…..the way he causes things… willbe perfect.

No comments: