Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gain - Philippians 1

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will meanfruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am tornbetween the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. - Phillipians 1:12-24

This passage fliesdirectly in the face of ‘Prosperity Gospel’, consumerism, and ‘he who dies with the most toyswins’. I know we’d all like an easier life, moremoney than we know what to do with, stuff….but these are all distractions toPaul. As a matter of fact, he seems to relish this time in prison in thispassage. Now I know he’d probably rather be out, but he sees the good in theprison guards, those who are probably speaking bolder with him in prison….eventhose who are preaching the gospel out of spite or for the wrong reasons….inPaul’s mind, are still preaching the Gospel.
Make no mistake aboutthis….God's work is advanced by difficulties and discouragements, rather thanby ease and prosperity. In Paul’sperspective, Advancing the Kingdom was priority ONE…..the rest, secondary. To live is Christ …….literally means‘serving Christ’ and to die is gain. Either way, Paul is giving up this carnallife. Can we honestly say this?
Because of theProsperity Gospel preached by so many people….people actually quote (one of themost quoted) this verse….which is NO WHERE in the bible; God helps those whohelp themselves.
I love Matt Chandler…andI want you to know about this awesome pastor up in Dallas…… several months agoaround Thanksgiving he was diagnosed with cancer…and I have seen him fight thisthing via video blog and it has been such an encouragement to me. Not because he will or has beatencancer, but in the way he fights.
Here is the first videohe did….its only a few minutes….but I guarantee you’ll wanna watch the rest ofthem after seeing this.
One of the mostmemorable things he says in this video is that “God considered me worthy tosuffer”.
Seriously? Watch it and see. For Matt, to live isChrist, to die is gain. What about me?
VIDEO

No comments: