Friday, May 07, 2010

Building the Church - Ephesians 4

….speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. Ephesians 4:15-16
Here is where we are as a church, a body of believers and sojourners. Paul is basically talking about building the church…and not ONE time does he mention the building, the worship style or programming. As ANC continues to press forward, we are discipling so that every part of the body builds itself in love and each part does it’s work.
Let me let you guys in on a little church lingo. There is an 80-20 rule….and what that is…In church world it is normal for 20% of the people do 80% of the work, so much so that if you ask any church staff person at any church, they know about this rule. But what is amazing is that ‘The Rule’ doesn’t seem to apply to ANC. There are still some exceptions….but as a rule MOST everyone is involved at some level in the work God has called us to. And another interesting phenomenon, most people that aren’t involved in the work we have been called to….don’t stick around long.
Brandon and I were at a symposium yesterday with one of the leading church Missiologist (a guy who studies trends and movements in the church) in the nation. And we at a round table discussing our churches, and Brandon said something that I first thought was funny, then I realized it was funny because it was true….he said something to the effect of…… if you looked at our church from the outside…..we look as if we are working our church to death. All we are doing is releasing the body to do what it is suppose to do…we’ve empowered our people to love outside our walls, shown them how and given them margin to do so.
I am very proud of the level of commitment of ANC Partners and the life change going on with our little church. We got a letter this week;
The people at Austin New Church are amazing. Words can not describe the impact you have had on me this month, my first month here. We all have stories, trials and tribulations. I moved to Austin with just a thousand dollar vehicle and cloths, more than what some have. I continue to work hard and struggle. How ever I am blessed that I wake up everyday and have the opportunity to work and at least have money for food and rent. I lost a house, my car, fiancée and a child just under a year ago. My life was pretty much taken away. I have started from scratch. Coming to you guys have realized I have a lot more than I think. Also that even though I barely make it on a weekly basis I can still do more. I do not have money to donate, nor tons of time during the week, However on weekends I do. I would love to learn more about the bible, I would also love to help in the projects and things you do around this beautiful city I call home now. I am not asking for anything from this to come my way, I know other people might need the help more than me and that is what I want to do. So if we could talk sometime and you can let me know what more I could do I would be great full for that. Thank you with all my heart, and God bless!!!
Fellas, this guy is not a believer….yet. but what we do resonates so much with him…is that has been here ONE MONTH and he DESIRES what we have…and that’s God. He wants to serve to the least, he wants to know God and he expresses that the only way he knows how.
Thank you guys for pressing into the work. I sat way too many years on the sideline…and it’s way more funner being in the game.

No comments: