Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Refuge - Psalm 7

Psalm 7:1 O LORD my God, I take refuge in you; save and deliver me from all who pursue me, 2 or they will tear me like a lion and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me.

1 Peter 5:8b Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

God is our refuge. In David’s case there was a literal ‘in the flesh’ enemy…in our case, the enemy is Satan, and he takes many forms. Either way, David is keenly aware that the enemy is like a lion, who seeks only to steal kill and destroy.

My daughter LOVES to sleep in our room. She doesn’t have to….she just likes to. If Jenny and I aren’t paying attention, when we go to bed at night, there she is. She doesn’t even care to sleep in our bed…she will sleep on the floor….with a blanket and a pillow. Our room, where we are…is where she wants to be. She has a perfectly good, expensive mattress in her room….yet she yearns to sleep on the floor near her mom and me.

She isn’t scared, yet she longs to be safe. There are no apparent threats, yet she longs to be secure.

David a mighty king….could crush his enemy, by his mighty army’s sword, yet he chose to take refuge in the Lord. Tate could sleep in the comfort of her own bed, 30 feet further away from her mom and me, yet she chooses a more uncomfortable (unnatural) pallet next to our bed. Maybe these examples of ‘childlike faith’.

No comments: