Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Now I lay me...down to sleep - Psalm 4

Psalm 4:8 I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

Safety, peace and sleep would not be “the Norm” for a king on the run. If things had gotten so bad in the kingdom that it’s very own king can no longer assure his safety, then times are pretty insane.

For David to lay his head down at night, and find solace and comfort as God removed the worries of the day, and allowed him to feel safe as he slept was a great blessing. There isn’t much worse than a night of worry, as you try to sleep. David recognizes this as he is saying his evening prayer to the Lord.

The old kids prayer goes;
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep……
Its really that same type of prayer, it’s basically comforting for David to know, that he can trust God with his safety. Whatever God decides to allow to happen in the night….God’s in control.

4 comments:

servant and messanger of YAHshua said...

Dear beloved. No this is not the same prayer as the children's. It's funny I just posted something on my blog about this. Many, many, many scripture are revamped without the contextual (I think I made this word up) meaning Peace of the Lord.

Tray said...

Thanks for your "thought", but I didn't say the childs prayer WAS Psalm 4... I merely said it was like it... In a sense that David recognized there was nothing that would happen in the night while he slept, that would catch God off guard. David's own safety wasn't dependabt on whether he stayed awake or not.
Blessings

servant and messanger of YAHshua said...

Beloved, I know you didn't say that I was trying to state that I like how you made the similarity but reconized the difference. I'm sorry that my comment did not come off that way. I was responding to the thought you had "Its really that same type of prayer." The connection is edyfing. P.O.T.L.

Tray said...

Thanks for the clarity and edification.