Friday, August 29, 2008

Shagmar!

Judges 3:31 After Ehud came Shamgar son of Anath, who struck down six hundred Philistines with an oxgoad. He too saved Israel.

I guess this is going to be a recurring theme in Judges. The Israelites bask in the peace and slip back into sin…God sends someone to ‘save them’…they have peace again until…..again they slip back into sin. I can relate.

I was struck at the obscure verse at the end of Judges 3. Shagmar, it would seem was a simple man….possibly a farmer or herdsman. He was a country-boy…probably not much education, not a ‘noble’ birth (because of his job), and probably not much in terms of possessions, because he apparently didn’t have a sword.

Shagmar slayed 600 Philistines…(remember Goliath?) with an oxgoad. An ox-goad is like a modern day cattle prod. Its used for herding, poking and guiding an ox, as he is pulling a plow or cart.

It says Shagmar saved Israel too. So, I am inspired today.

God uses unlikely men, with unlikely weapon….basically God uses what we have, to conquer obstacles that seem too big…..all for his glory.

Shagmar gets lost in annals of Biblical History. I have never heard of him, yet I find myself connected to him in a weird way. I’m not saving Israel, but I am willing to use what little I have, today……for God’s glory.

God, make me a SHAGMAR!

No comments: