Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Remember Who Saved You!

Occasionally I ask Benton to share with me his story. I want to know about the time that he trusted Christ for Salvation. He we tell me when he was 6 years old, about the time on the way home from Snoopy’s (Seafood Restaurant) with the Hatmakers, that he quietly told his mom, “I feel dirty.” Jenny told him…when we get home, you can take a bath. And he said, “No, in my heart, and I need Jesus to clean it”. Jenny relayed the conversation to me…and in the Hatmakers bedroom, with Jenny and me, kneeling by the bed, my son asked Jesus to be his Lord and Savior.
I ask him this for two reasons. One is that I believe your testimony is a powerful thing in your Christian walk….and two Lordship is a process and we must, continually be brought back to where our journey began, remember how it was to be saved, to continue to put our trust in the one who saved us.
Joshua is taking the Israelites back, reminding the people of their journey, reminding them of what it was like to be saved. What it was like to like to walk with the Lord and remember what it was like when they didn’t. I know Joshua realized, he wasn’t going to be around much longer. He made a covenant with the all the people of Israel, and challenged the people with, Joshua 24: 15 “choose this day who you will serve” and continued with maybe the second most quoted verse in scripture, “as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Who will we serve? Who do we serve?
Do we have any hidden gods? Any foreign gods?
I have a testimony…but mine in different than my son's. I want him to see, that he is unique, that he wasn’t persuaded, it didn’t happen in church, or at camp, or with a pastor (at the time). His conversation, literally came out of the blue. God can start the process, and even a child, can recognize sin and the need for a savior. Other friends of mine, trusted Christ in their bedroom with no one around, others at camp with hundreds of kids, others at 'revivals' and others with a minister.....it is still good to remember.

No comments: