Friday, October 17, 2008

Useless

1 Samuel 12: 21 Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless.

Wheat harvest was a time of year that there usually was no rain. So Samuel calling upon the Lord and Him producing rain was an awesome thing. Samuel made the point that the same God who you people (Israel) just slighted…and demanded a fleshly king, is the one who controls the weather the rain…and no earthly king can do this.

He is basically warning them, that the king they just crowned is far less powerful and useless than the God who continually bails them out, when they have repented, as a people in the past. The Israelites wanted a king so bad…that the possibility of raising him up and worshiping him was great.

I was left wondering what useless idols I have in my life. What things do I rely on more than God……what things make him jealous? What do I spend more of my time doing that I do worshipping God? What or who do I trust more than God? I have to be honest…. God may be jealous of my reliance on Brandon. I trust Brandon, I have even said…”I don’t know that I would have followed anyone else into ministry”…and although those are heartfelt….. God wants my reliance on him. Brandon, a great pastor, a great leader, and a great friend….did not breathe life into me, nor has he saved me. So perspective is maybe the point here. God doesn’t want all of our affections…he just wants ALL of our worship. (where is the line?)

God forgive me for misplaced worship. Whether its things, money, or people… I want to love you more, rely on you more and trust you more. Teach me, through your word how to do that.

Brandon, you are not a useless idol…..but you get it.

No comments: