Monday, October 13, 2008

Does My Deed Line up with My Creed?

1 Samuel 8:1 When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as judges for Israel. 2 The name of his firstborn was Joel and the name of his second was Abijah, and they served at Beersheba. 3 But his sons did not walk in his ways. They turned aside after dishonest gain and accepted bribes and perverted justice.

Guys, I couldn’t get past the first few verses. As dads, we are trying to live the life God has called us to….but this is a reminder that we only have one shot with our sons. Unfortunately, we cannot instill our faith in them. They must eventually live their own faith. I know Samuel wanted his sons to embrace his faith. Joels name means “The Lord is God” and Abijah means “My Father is the Lord”.
No doubt Samuel taught and trained his boys according to Proverbs 23:6, “Train a child in the way he should go.” But we must remember, we are accountable for our own walks. Romans 14:10-12 says “… For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. It is written: ‘As surely as I live,’ says the LORD, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.’ So, then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.”

I have seen too many times, Godly men, who lose touch with their boys….either from their selfishness, ambition, or just plain ignorance. The charge to me this morning is simple, let my deed line up with my creed… so that my son (and daughter) sees that my faith is real… and worth putting faith in, what I put faith in.

And when all else fails pray.

No comments: