Friday, October 24, 2008

Mighty to Save

We’ve all heard the story of David and Goliath a million times, each time a pastor or teacher will come from a different angle;

Why was David’s brother angry with him when he heard him asking about the Giant? Was he jealous? Was he being protective?

Why did David pick up 5 stones? Did he not trust God? Was David just prepared in case God decided to use stone 2,3,4 or 5…why not 6?

When I think about David and Goliath…lately I think about the movie ‘Troy’, the opening scene. Except with less sex and drinking.

I also think about the song by Casting Crowns, Voice of Truth

Oh, what I would do
to have the kind of strength it takes
To stand before a giant
with just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound
of a thousand warriors
shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out
my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
time and time again
"Boy you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

But today I noticed…and I’m sure it’s been preached on, but like Brandon said yesterday…the thing that stands out like its in bold print to me…..is one line, not even a whole verse;

1 Samuel 17:47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves

What blows me away, is that the Israelites…time and time again, throughout scripture are reminded, that the Lord’s mighty arm can save, and He chooses to save, through faith not sword. Yet, they rejected Christ, who came to save, without ever raising a sword, or lifting a hand (other than to help and heal).
God may your people some day…come to know you…and put faith in Your ways. May it all make sense…. and in your timing, bring them back into your fold.

No comments: