Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Words and Deeds

Judges 10:15-16 But the Israelites said to the LORD, "We have sinned. Do with us whatever you think best, but please rescue us now." Then they got rid of the foreign gods among them and served the LORD. And he could bear Israel's misery no longer.

I’m not sure if this the first time…that I sense repentance rather than just remorse.

John MacArthur wrote: "Genuine repentance acknowledges God’s right to chasten, so His punishment is seen as just and He is thereby glorified. It also seeks the remediation that chastening brings, because genuine contrition pursues holiness."

The Israelites not only were remorseful, but sensed that God’s justice and His punishment were better than living without His presence. They threw themselves at his feet not expecting mercy, yet knowing God was merciful.

Then, taking it a step further, they proactively turned to God not only in their words…but in their deeds, when they got rid of the foreign gods. This represented not only a spiritual turning but a public acknowledgement that they had blown it.

How many times have I offered up carefully scripted prayers, thought about my offense and prayed for forgiveness, yet didn’t remove the sources of my sin. How many times have I accepted the mercy and grace God offers, then turn right around and prove myself unworthy of either.

No comments: