Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Who is your King?

Judges 9:56 Thus God repaid the wickedness that Abimelech had done to his father by murdering his seventy brothers.

I read that the name Abimelech literally means…my father is King. The name though is a bit ambiguous….when Gideon named Abimelech, was he referring to himself or to God as king.

Now I don’t know the actually meanings of my kids names….but have I projected a posture of God being my Lord and King….or do I, as did Gideon (with the Ephod) project myself and my accomplishments. My prayer is constantly to be showing and leading my kids to understand that our authority is under the headship of Christ.

I certainly don’t want to raise a couple of Abimelechs….and although I don’t always success in emulating Christ, I do constantly press on to become more like Him. The way I relate to them, to their mother..and the way they see me relate to others is constantly a witness to them. There is (or should be) no doubt as to who is my master, who is my Lord and my God.

No comments: