Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Radical living

Matt 17:17"O unbelieving and perverse generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me."

You know...I guess I may be the densest person on the planet....but I realized, he is talking to us here. I think Jesus is literally disgusted with his disciples. He has been with them now for 3 years...and they have watched and seen how Jesus has casted out demons, fed thousands...twice, and he feels that they should be at a greater level of faith than they are. He even calls their deficiency unbelief. OUCH. Disciples were suppose to be taking the apprentice role and be learning and growing in their to become teachers..... “It is enough for the student to be like the teacher”

I just hear Jesus disgust....saying...."bring the boy to me" He chastized his disciples when he tells them that they could have not only healed the boy..but moved the mountain...if they had faith as little as a mustard seed. How often do needs around us go unmet because we neglect radical trust in God, especially on behalf of others' needs? (commentary Bible Gateway)

God, I pray for that radical trust, for a radical faith, for a radical love of others.

No comments: