Monday, January 14, 2008

foundational truth

Matt 26:56b Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

This verse in Matthew is probably obscure and one that brings shame to the disciples. But this one verse, is foundational in my personal belief that Jesus was resurrected and he was who he said he was. These same disciples who were scared to be seen with, denied, and werent even present at the crucifixion, obviously had a change. These same disciples who fell asleep when Jesus was in the garden, never really "got it" while Christ was with them..... evidently believed in Christ in a 'new way'. As a matter of fact, the change in the disciples pre and post resurrection leads me to know that they not only believed in Christ enough to drop their nets and follow him, but they believed in Christ NOW, enough to die for the cause of Christ.

Genesis 35:2 So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, "Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, and purify yourselves and change your clothes.

My question when reading today, was why did the household of Jacob have ANY foreign gods? Then I was convicted....why do I? What are the things in my life that I treasure, that I hold onto? Things that i treasure from time to time, more than my time with God. I dont think we realize the jealous nature of God. And its not like a Jr. High girl jealousy. God wants all of our affection, he wants to be the focus of all of our being, and he wants us to share that focus, love and affection with others.

I really appreciated what Brandon said last night, when he was talking about not having to judge people that I'm suppose to bless. I know I have...pulled up to red light..and see a homeless guy and i dont even make eye contact because I know he is just going to buy beer with my money. I am so grateful that God didnt withhold HIS BLESSING from me based on the fact that I wouldnt do exactly as he would have hoped with it. We are just called to bless others...God can do the changing of that persons heart.