Friday, June 13, 2008

Allow the Spirit to Lead

1 Corinthians 2:1-5 When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

What a great word today.

I have taken “How to Share Your Faith” classes and I have taught youth and young adults for years. In those classes the thing that strikes fear in most people about sharing the Gospel…and me to an extent…is being stumped, someone asking the hard question…that will just stop you in your tracks.

The cool thing about Paul here is that he didn’t come in wisdom, he had wisdom, but he came fearful and in weakness. In that, the Holy Spirit could operate and Paul and his wisdom, took the back seat. I believe if we are obedient, the Holy Spirit can and does work through us in these instances. I just believe that Satan likes to paralyze us with our own fears and thoughts of embarrassment. When in fact, 99 times out of 100, people are open to spiritual talks….when you are prompted…there is a reason.
1 Peter 3:15
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect

I think about the “spirit led” (or spirit prompted) conversations and they are always better than the scripted, regurgitation of another story, a chapter in a book, or a sermon I heard.

Paul does recognize a different message on a different level with believers, those who have the spirit of God in them. In that I see a different level of maturity even among believers…and not all believers speak on the same level. I would probably have to tell Paul to speak slower and use smaller words.

No comments: