Friday, July 02, 2010

Sword - Hebrews 4

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12


There has been discussion by theologians whether this verse speaks of the word of God being the bible…or Jesus. The Word of God Inspired or the Incarnate Word (The Word became flesh and dwelt among us). I think its pretty awesome the duplicity this verse could have….because just as Jesus reveals God…so the bible reveals Jesus.

I share that with you because I had never heard that. I have always believed that the word of God referenced in verse 12, speaks of God’s Inspired word. But as I develop this in my own mind….It’s really hard to separate the two.

Spurgeon in one of his sermons, sites Solomon who says concerning it, “When you go, it shall lead you. When you sleep, it shall keep you. And when you awake, it shall talk with you.”
Have you ever known what that means? Why, the Book has wrestled with me. The Book has smitten me. The Book has comforted me. The Book has smiled on me. The Book has frowned on me. The Book has clasped my hand. The Book has warmed my heart. The Book weeps with me and sings with me. It whispers to me and it preaches to me. It maps my way and holds up my goings. It was to me the Young Man’s Best Companion and it is still my Morning and Evening Chaplain. It is a living Book—all over alive—from its first chapter to its last word it is full of a strange, mystic vitality which makes it have pre-eminence over every other writing for every living child of God.

Think about a double edged sword…..It has no dull side, nothing that is less likely to cut, it is ALL EDGE. There is not a verse or word in the bible that is less likely to penetrate your heart than the very essence of the Gospel message.

George Whitefield, the great 18th-century evangelist, was hounded by a group of detractors who called themselves the “Hell-fire Club.” They derided his work and mocked him. On one occasion one of them, a man named Thorpe, was mimicking Whitefield to his cronies, delivering his sermon with brilliant accuracy, perfectly imitating his tone and facial expressions, when he himself was so pierced that he sat down and was converted on the spot. That is power.

I pray that we recognize the power of God’s word….but even if we don’t….
so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11.

No comments: