Wednesday, July 07, 2010

It is finished - Hebrews 6

Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And God permitting, we will do so.

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Hebrews 6: 1-6

So Hebrew 6 has been one of those chapters that I have read countless times….trying to lay a finger on. I’ve had students and adults ask me….What does this mean? What if I fall away? What is this talking about……and having read this linearly again (meaning reading straight through as we are doing) I have a new idea on this. I am sure someone way wiser than me, has written a thesis on this, published books and articles….but I just feel that this is NOT a verse that is suppose to frighten us, or make us question our own faith as much as it is a reassurance.

I think the writer of Hebrews is specifically talking to Jews, cultural Jews maybe (those who are Jewish by birth....and not in the way they live) and we know Christians like this too….so this is a message for us as well. As we have seen in the previous chapters, he is reminding them (the Jews) of some no so great times in their forefathers past, times when they turned their back on God, only to be warned by a prophet or seen things that would make them turn back toward Him.

So here is my new take;
I think the writer of Hebrews is saying…..Jesus is it. Period.
Once you’ve decided to follow him, there is no turning back (apostasy) . There will be no greater signs, there will be no more prophets, God’s not going to send plagues, God isn’t going to part the seas, God isn’t going to reveal himself in a burning bush….ever again.
Jesus birth, life, death burial and resurrection is all you have. It is my perfect plan of redemption and once you’ve tasted that, you’ll never be subject to the law that binds you, you’ll have instant access to the “holy of holies” (like never before), Jesus is your new mediator, and you will be forever forgiven. You will not turn your back on me like you have done in the past, because once your tasted my goodness…..it’s not possible.
And even if you did……it’s not like Jesus is going to come back….live life and do this death again…..”It is finished”. Once and for all!

No comments: