Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Amazing Grace - Hebrews 10

Wow…okay guys this chapter (like the others) is PACKED, and so much of hitting me between the eyes this morning.

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 5:23


As followers of Christ….we must trust the words of Christ, follow the ways of Christ, love like Christ loved, aspire to walk rightly like He did….and repent when we don’t.
If we don’t, what good is our faith.

What is faith?
Hebrews 11 tells us; Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.


This means that although we live in a time when we don’t physically walk with Christ, we cant see him, his miracles, his example….we do have the bible and the testimonies of those who did. We trust the bible to true and the infallible word of God, written by men under the direction of the Holy Spirit…..and we trust that.

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Hebrews 10:24


Hopefully, in my relationship with you guys you sense this with me. I want you love and do good deeds…but not only that. I want us to aspire to righteousness.

My dad used to quote a poem….and although this isn’t biblical….I share it with you as an example:
The Man In The Glass
Anonymous
When you get what you want in your struggle for self

And the world makes you king for a day,

Just go to the mirror and look at yourself

And see what that man has to say.


For it isn’t your father or mother or wife

Whose judgment upon you must pass.

The fellow whose verdict counts most in you life

Is the one staring back from the glass.


You may be like Jack Horner and chisel a plum

And think you’re a wonderful guy.

But the man in the glass says you’re only a bum

If you can’t look him straight in the eye.


He’s the fellow to please-never mind all the rest,

For he’s with you clear to the end.

And you’ve passed your most dangerous, difficult test

If the man in the glass is your friend.


You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years

And get pats on the back as you pass.

But your final reward will be heartache and tears

If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.


I believe as Christ followers, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us…and in turn when we look in the mirror….we should see Christ. Those times we don’t, we know. We know!
I have always said, you are only as accountable as you want to be….but I know me, my sins, my secrets, my faults….and so does God. You aren’t going to surprise him.

If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left Hebrews 10:26


Like we have talked about in the previous chapters….Christ died once and for all. This grace wasn’t cheap, the Son of God had to die for us…and our deliberate ‘trampling’ of his grace is the worst.

I don’t think we will fully understand the mind or love of God short of heaven….but I think about it as my love for my children. I so want the best for them, I never want them to faulter, but I will always love, correct and forgive.

God, I am sorry for having trampled your Grace at times. I know I am forgiven, and that is no excuse. Please let me walk in your Amazing Grace.

No comments: