Thursday, June 03, 2010

Idle Hands - 2 Thessalonians 3

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. 2 Thessalonians 3:6

"If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
2 Thessalonians 3:10

I had someone throw this second verse at me the other day when he questioned our ministry to the homeless…..slackers…he called them. Well….if taken in context, this verse speaks specifically of “brothers” in the faith. But I do agree, we are to do an honest days work for an honest days wage.
I think the thing Paul is warning about in this passage is idleness. You guys have probably all heard the saying, “Idle hands are the Devil’s Playground/Workshop/Playthings”. And it’s true. I have heard time and again….even experienced it….when we become bored, when we don’t have a task, something that keeps us busy…..our minds start to wander, our thoughts turn to things that don’t honor God…..at least I know mine does.
I truly believe one way to combat this is daily scripture reading. It’s a great way to start the day and have your initial focus be on His ways. I pray for conviction in times of idleness. I pray God disturbs me…interrupts me.

No comments: