Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life. 1 Timothy 6:17-19

Guy, I know for the most part, we are all well off. We have jobs and incomes that put us in the top 5% of wage earners in the world….therefore we are rich. Do you ever consider why?

Rich (if you have a few minutes…watch)

If you remember the story in Genesis, God blessed Abraham to be a blessing to others. He told him to leave the land of his fathers, and he would bless him with a child, not only a child but a nation.
I will make of you a great nation,

 and I will bless you; 

I will make your name great,

 and you shall be a blessing. 

I will bless those who bless you

 and curse him that curses you;

 and all the families of the earth shall bless themselves by you."

So by faith, Abraham left where he was from….which was not a small feat, to go to a place that God hadn’t yet revealed to Abraham.

I wonder if God doesn’t require all those who he has blessed, to be a blessing.

I’ve struggled with this in the past….and to a point still do. As a college educated son of a son of the Depression, registered Republican…I have always believed that “God helps those who help themselves” …..ever heard that? Well…that’s not in the bible….and I believe what is more biblical is that God helps those, who He has helped, to help others (I see this over and over in the bible)….he has to help me help others, because it’s not my nature.

I believe the rich need to be commanded to do good, be rich in good deeds and to be generous and willing to share…..why? Because, Paul told Timothy to tell those who were rich in his church to do these things (see above).

There is a “SO THAT” and it is….so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Men, so many times I am tempted to take hold of the life that is NOT truly life. I believe this refers to life outside the will of God, outside of his blessing and outside of his perfect will. I am in essence relegating God to some “Cosmic Bystander”. I believe that God wants (not needs) us to be a blessing to others….for us. And by faith, we should bless others so that we have communion with Him, that we know Him more and that we take hold of the life that is TRULY LIFE.

No comments: