Monday, March 02, 2009

Psalm 38 - Weight of Sin

Psalm 38 –
As I read this Psalm, I am reminded that David is living under the consequence of his sin. David agrees with God in his punishment…only in one he asks to lessen the severity of it. David wholly owns the punishment…and in his confession, agrees with God’s sense of justice and appeals for his mercy. Not that he deserves it…but because David knows God loves him.
1 O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. 2 For your arrows have pierced me, and your hand has come down upon me. 3 Because of your wrath there is no health in my body; my bones have no soundness because of my sin. 4 My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear. 5 My wounds fester and are loathsome because of my sinful folly.
This passage makes me even more mindful and thankful that Jesus bore the consequence of our sin.

No comments: