Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On the Fly - Nehemiah 2

Nehemiah 2:4 The king said to me, "What is it you want?" Then I prayed to the God of heaven _____________

I had a pastor one time, always talk about praying on the fly, off the cuff…and what he was talking about were minutes just like this….when you are being questioned, sharing your faith, or just generally in a pinch.

Nehemiah, needless to say, walked into this situation as the kings cup bearer (to do his job)….but God used the situation (Nehemiah’s countenance) to open a dialogue with the king. I don’t think Nehemiah was prepared….I don’t think he had ever rehearsed what he might say to the king….and this was probably very ‘out of character’ for a king.

So ‘on the fly’ Nehemiah prayed…I don’t think it was an Our Father type prayer… I would guess it would have been something short and sweet like;
God give me your wisdom and the kings influence to bring you glory…Amen.

As it turned out, God spoke through Nehemiah and the king blessed Nehemiah and gave him literally full reign to do what the Lord was calling him to do. We are faced daily with opportunities to bless people, share our lives with people and share our faith. I believe we should always we praying and looking for these opportunities and when they come……pray ‘on the fly’.

No comments: